• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Effects of different prescrition drugs - worried about becoming ill..

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Needshelp007

Hai

Well I am from the UK and stumbled across this forum by accident. You guys seem to be very knowlegable, so would appreciate if someone could help at all.

I have been taking recreational drugs since I was 18. I was a heavy weed smoker from the age of 19 until I was 33 (I stopped smoking 3 years ago now). I had a massive breakdown in 2001 due to a number of events/stress in my life/coke/green habit. I stopped the coke but carried on with the weed/pills.

Now as soon as I stopped smoking weed 3 years ago I starting drinking every night - only at night times and at first it was only a glass or two of wine, but because of a bad accident last year, since then I have been basically getting pissed every night, being very depressed - leading to another breakdown early this year.

After taking many different painkillers (my back is now knackered, spine and nerve damage and I have muscular spasms), none of them worked, I had a minor op which didnt work, so my choice is to have a really serious operation (where I may not walk again) or live with the pain. I dont want the operation...

I recently went back to the Doctors after my friend had given me some of his 50mg tramadol - which seemed to help. My doctor has now prescribed upto 4 x 50mg per day of Tramquel. But, the pharmacist seemed a little alarmed when I got them because I am on 60mg of Fluroxetine per day - he asked me if I had had any seizures in the past - which I havent so he let me have them. I am also only allowed 7 x 5mg of Diazepam a month, which is truly the only thing that helps a little but they wont give me anymore. I am basically in constant pain whatever I take.

I have read up on the Tramadol and it says not to take them if you have been a drug addict or alcoholic as they can cause seizures, but also that they are very addictive. I stopped drinking 3 weeks ago and have only had drinks twice since then (although I was drunk both times).

With my alcohol/drugs related past I am concerned I may have seizures with taking this combination of drugs.

I am absolutely clueless and some help would be appreciated.... I am in so much pain, I couldnt cope with having seizures too. For clarity, all drugs have been prescribed my doctor and when I stopped drinking a few weeks ago, I had a few nights of struggling to sleep, but no other side effects, I have never thought I was an alcoholic, I do agree I had a drink problem though.

In summary: I am on 4 x 50mg tramadol per day, 60mg of Fluroxetine and the occasional 5mg Diazepam and have a recent alchohol habit and long history of drug use. Would these tablets do me any harm?

Thanks in advance.

Shifting from Anonymous posting to Healthy Living.

(HL mods if you think this would be better in TDS, please shift as you see fit :))

i am not a pharmacist nor a doctor, but i can tell you that the insert for tramadol says that you should not take it if you are taking an ssri, which fluoxetine is.

Status
Not open for further replies.